Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium

Narkova Starbase O-14: The Haven Empty Narkova Starbase O-14: The Haven

Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:59 am
This one was really fun to build. After I realized how much I enjoyed building my other SNOT starbase, I decided to build another one.

Pic 1:

Now for the other backstory:

Narkova Starbase O-14, known by merchants and travelers of many species throughout the quadrant as The Haven, sits on the nexus of a number of trade and travel spaceways. As such it is a hub of news, gossip, culture, and small business from all around. A slew of docking bays and repair hangars, fully stocked and manned, allow the crew of the base to repair and refuel almost anything that comes by.

There are also a few maintenance personnel that keep the base systems running smoothly, and a small security force to oversee the activities of the visitors. The starbase is equipped with light thrusters and a standard Narkovian shield generator to deal with incoming asteroids and other space junk.

Pic 2:

Pic 3:

Narkova Starbase O-14: The Haven Empty Re: Narkova Starbase O-14: The Haven

Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:08 pm
Love it, Spud! I must say, it's absolutely beautiful. You did a great job with getting the circle perfect (something I never seem to be able to do) and the coloring and detail looks great. Awesome build!
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:31 pm
MAD: Thanks! Getting a circle is actually the easy part. Filling in the circle and making it look like a solid disc and not a doughnut is the hard part. That's why there's an open circle at the center.

I find that the best way to get a circle is to use math and a bunch of those 1x4 plates with a hinge in the middle. Since you can't make a perfectly round circle with LEGO bricks, you can make a many sided regular polygon, which is the next best thing. I actually came up with a formula to help me get the best results: A = 360/n, where A is the angle at which you bend each 1x4 hinge and n is the number of 1x4 hinges you want to use. The more you want to use, the smaller the angle should be and the bigger the "circle" will be.

For example, If I want to make a "circle" that has 20 1x4 hinge plates, then I divide 360 by 20 to get 18. That means that each plate should be bent at an angle of 18 degrees. Connect all the hinge plates together, and viola! A brand new circle.

Sorry about all the babbling, but I tend to get long-winded when I'm trying to explain something. Hope this helps!

Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:20 am
Wow, you just lost me with all the math-speak, but thankfully the starbase speaks for itself! Razz It looks so sleek and streamlined! I have to say, Spud, you've mastered the art of round building! Just one complaint: it doesn't seem colorful enough to me Razz

Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:28 am
That's actually a really good idea, Spud. I probably would never have thought to use mathz in building. Razz
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)

Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:03 pm
Soccergirl: Thank you! I gave the base that color scheme to make it more simplistic. But now that you mention it, I think a color overhaul may be in order. Very Happy

MAD: I know, right? It's amazing what you can do with a few numbers. Razz
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:11 pm
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!! Not only did you build an absolutely AWESOME starbase, you also convinced me that math can actually be useful. Razz (JK) Mind if I use your formula for who knows what building stuff? Razz Back to the base... Wow.... that's just spectacular!!!! GREAT job!!!
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)

Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:40 pm
Dino: Thank you! Hey, two Kowankian monkey lizards with one phaser blast, eh? Razz Of course you can use the formula! Thanks again!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum