Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS

Centauri Class Cruiser Empty Centauri Class Cruiser

Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:04 am
Centauri Class Cruiser Centau10

The Centauri Class Cruiser is the next generation of cruiser. It's firepower is massive; not only from the sheer amount of armaments it carries, but because it is armed with two new weapons, rarely seen or never seen on previous warships before.  

The Centauri Class Cruiser is one of the most versatile warships ever designed by PXE. It is equipped with a variety of armaments, making it deadly to both aircraft and capital ships. The Centauri is heavily armored, making it difficult for enemies to damage. Centauri's also boast a large fighter complement, making them excellent for carrying squadrons into battle or acting as support ships during invasions on enemy planets, asteroids, etc.  

The Centauri is a well-armed vessel. Though it is equipped with many KP-3 cannons, the cruiser's main role is simple: target and destroy enemy dreadnoughts or battleships. The Centauri is specially equipped with two weapons to help it do this: the light ShockER mounted ventrally, and the twelve KMR-17 anti-ship ballistic missiles mounted in each "wing". In addition, the Centauri carries a large amount of KP-6 and KP-7 cannons which can quickly finish off an opposing dreadnought (if the ballistic missiles can do enough work).  

A volley of three, EXTREMELY well-placed KMR-17 missiles can completely destroy a light battleship. A volley of about five to seven KMR-17's can completely destroy an average-sized battleship (if placed extremely well). Finally, a volley of twelve to twenty EXCRUCIATINGLY well-placed KMR-17's can completely destroy a dreadnought.

Centauri Class Cruiser Centau11
Missiles/detail

Centauri Class Cruiser Centau10
ShockER  

To make the Centauri's job easier, it is equipped with a KP-10 Light ShockER Mk. 2 to immobilize large enemy vessels. It can fire up to three shots in quick succession, completely frying thrusters, communications arrays, primary defense systems, and warp nacelles. This can significantly increase not only a KMR-17's accuracy, but their damage as well. However, the KMR-17's are NOT regenerating (for obvious reasons) and the Light ShockER requires almost seventy-two hours worth of recharge time to be at full power. Because of this, Centauri Class Cruisers are generally not used in lone combat raids against a dreadnought (as dreadnoughts will generally be in fleets).  

Instead, the Centauri Class Cruisers are usually seen in large fleets. In battle, an actual ShockER warship will usually be available, and thus, the cruisers can use their ShockERs to fire at smaller targets. After the ShockER warships cripple or destroy an enemy ship's shield, the Centauri will finish it off with several KMR-17's. Therefore, a task group of Centauri Class Cruisers combined with ShockER warships is never a good sign, and has become a symbol of PXE naval power and versatility.  

The Centauri has become a feared vessel by both enemies and allies. The cruiser has proved its firepower in training exercises and live combat against pirates and raiders.  

However, a Centauri Class Cruiser can easily fend off multiple vessels without its missiles and ShockER. It is quite capable of using its fighters and KP-6 and KP-7 cannons to take care of enemy capital ships. With or without the KMR-17 missiles and KP-10 Light ShockER, the Centauri is still a threat.

The Centauri features significant amounts of absorbic armor in case it cannot destroy an enemy dreadnought and is individually trapped. Though a Centauri without its ShockER and KMR-17 missiles is no match against a dreadnought alone, its heavy armor can absorb huge amounts of fire before going down. In addition, the ship is equipped with a Mk. 2 shielding grid, giving it extreme durability and flexibility.  

The cruiser boasts a massive fighter complement as well. Generally, the Centauri carries four squadrons of Phoenix fighters, two squadrons of Swallow light fighters, and two squadrons of Finch gunships while in fleet. When on solo or task group missions, the Centauri carries four squadrons of Phoenix fighters, two squadrons of Fireclaw dropships, and two squadrons of Finch gunships.

Centauri Class Cruiser Centau12
Hangar Bays

The Centauri Class Cruiser is not extremely fast and is much slower than the Nirvo'Kor Class Destroyer. However, it can easily outrun enemy dreadnoughts and light battleships. (obviously  Razz )  

Armaments:  
x25 KP-3 anti-aircraft cannons
x17 KP-6 heavy turrets
x20 KP-7 long-range ship-to-ship cannons
x1 KP-10 Light ShockER (Shock Energy Ray) Mk. 2
x12 KMR-17 anti-ship ballistic missiles  

Centauri Class Cruiser Centau13
Dorsal view of cannons/missiles

Defenses:
9.3 - 11.2 cm absorbic armor
Mk. 2 shielding grid  

Warp Capabilities:
Mk. 4 warp drive: warp factor 37.92...  

Fighter Complement:
Fleet:
x4 squadrons Phoenix fighters
x2 squadrons Swallow light fighters
x2 squadrons Finch gunships  

Centauri Class Cruiser Centau14
External communications array

Credits:  I got some inspiration for the missiles looking at a MOC.
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa

Centauri Class Cruiser Empty Re: Centauri Class Cruiser

Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:43 pm
Seems a little OP IMO; the description makes it sound like these things are super common and can take out a dreadnought-sized vessel with ease 9speaking of which, what exactly do you mean by "dreadnought"? In the PCG-verse, the term is pretty vague- it could be a battleship, supercruiser, heavy cruiser, etc.)

Also, a small little pet peeve of mine- according to the PCG-verse rules, the fastest a given ship can travel is warp 9.99999999999999999999999999999... you get the idea. Traveling any faster is only possible with transwarp drive, and only the federation really uses that at all (plus, according to my understanding, transwarp is only possible when traveling between/to specific transwarp nodes).

All that being said, this is one really cool ship! I like the aggressive tube-with-guns-welded-on look your ships seem to have; really makes me think of "battleship in space", which is certainly good. Design-wise, my only complaint is that there are just too many hangars to house so few fighter/bomber craft. I LOVE the turret designs, very creative IMO. Overall, very good!
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : De-Factioned

Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:53 pm
I don't know about that Mightyman, I don't think it's OP, I think it's practical. Of course, what I call practical most people call OP, I ususalyl put too many (accoridng to most people) weapons on things. PXR seems to have done the same thing. Also, FINALY, someone takes the idea of using large ship-to-ship missiles!

My only questoin is, "ballsitic" missiles, as in they destroy a target by crashing into it? Using kinetic force alone? Because as best as I can tell in the way that it's used, that's what ballistic would mean here.

But yeah, Mightyman was right about the Warp speed.

Still! Great design! Great geebling! And I love the little "winglet" design to hold the missiles! Great ship all around, a real toughie looking.
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:07 pm
I believe "ballistic missile" refers to a missile that follows an arc toward it's target- as opposed to, say, a cruise missile, which travels along ground in a roughly straight line (though I could be mistaken).

Either way, I don't see it as being very effective in space combat (well, maybe in Ant's description, but certainly not under mine). Not that it's a hard fix, just change it to "heavy torpedo" or "anti-ship missile" or something along those lines.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, I was right. It describes them as follows:

"A ballistic missile is a missile (rocket) that follows a ballistic flightpath with the objective of delivering one or more warheads to a predetermined target. A ballistic missile is only guided during the relatively brief periods of flight, and whose trajectory is largely un-powered and subsequently governed by the laws of classical mechanics. This contrasts to a cruise missile which is aerodynamically guided in powered flight. Long range Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles (ICBM) are launched at a steep, sub-orbital trajectory and spend most of their flight out of the atmosphere. Shorter range ballistic missiles stay within the Earth's atmosphere."

Considering that the gravity of even the largest vessels is practically negligible (spelling?), I doubt one of these would be very effective. Best to rename it as mentioned above.

Last edited by Commander Ant on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:31 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : To update with a definition from Wikipedia.)
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:59 am
@Everyone: Sorry it took so long to comment; I was very busy lol. Thank you everyone for the constructive criticisms and compliments! @Mightyman: I use a different warp scale; but I guess just divide mine by like 5.3. Razz @Alien: Thanks! I'll just take Mighty's suggestion and take off ballistic. Razz
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:54 pm
OK... by dividing the warp by 5.3, it comes out to ~7.2, which is actually kinda slow.  Razz 

That being said, I personally feel that pretty much every ship being able to do warp 9.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 eternally is really OP (I mean, I get a battleship or something able to do that, but almost every single ship?! It's ridiculous.

...so basically, keep the ship as-is, and mention we should divide by 5 in the future.  Razz
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:09 pm
Wow.... just... wow.... this is a BEAUTIFUL ship!!!! It says "come at me, I am a tank killer in space!"

Your building techniques are, MOST impressive! You achieve EXCELANT detailing, on a nice, SNOT-y frame. Well done!
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:33 pm
@Mightyman: Lol, I'll just change the scale again. I'm too lazy to do that.  Razz 
@Vardok: Thank you very much!  Smile 
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:29 pm
@mightyman+PXR: well ballistic still sounded cool, until you realize it's wrong. Razz But I have a correction on the cruise missiles. They do fly along a relatively "straight" low path, for a time. They actually launch decently high in the air, and then upon approaching their target dip low and follow a pre-determined path mapped out as the best way to skirt defenses and approach it's target, but that's the last few phases of it's flight. For most of the time it follows a pretty high, probably somewhat "ballistic" path. How long it flies low and straight (realative to ballsitic, it obviously is dipping and rising and turning) depends on how it's programmed to fly, which in turn depends on where it is fired from and where the enemy defenses are. For example, if it has a 90 mile flight and only the last ten of those consist of the land based enemy radar and anti-missile defenses, then it doesn't dip down till after most of it's flight is over. Then it hugs the ground and flies around defenses, through canyons, down streets, etcetera.
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:45 pm
@Ant: I was going to put cruise missile until I figured out, as you said, that it's trajectory is extremely low altitude, and altitude does not apply in vacuum.  Razz Lol, I agree with you; ballistic DOES sound cool until you realize it's wrong. Razz That was the sole reason why I wrote "ballistic". Razz
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:05 pm
It's teh sole reason I use lots of different words. Razz that's usually how sci-fi works. Cruise missiles are a specific type of missile that wouldn't be used by ships, but an advanced cruise missile could be used by ground based units. I would just call your missiles Anti-Ship Kinetic missiles (unless they have a war-head and don't just try to fly through their target, which can be jsut as good)
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:56 am
@Ant: Lol okay then. KMR-17 Anti-Ship Missile. Razz
Kojan
Kojan
High Admiral (CIR)
High Admiral (CIR)
Faction : Caldera Imperial Republic

Character sheet
Faction:
Species: Human
https://phoenixcommandgroup.rpg-board.net/

Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:39 am
I haven't commented on this yet? Inconceivable!

So, yeah, this is pretty crazy-amazing. The design work is amazing, and the detail work is extraordinary in its depth. The main hull sort of loosely reminds me of my Ranger and Marauder class vessels, but that's probably just coincidence. Razz

I only have one quarrel with the ship's structure: the engines. I know that I'm guilty of making large ships have inappropriately-sized engines (See the Conveyance Mk. II Class Transport Ship), but a full-fledged combat ship, especially a cruiser, should have the engines capable of closing a distance quickly with an enemy. The engines displayed here just don't justify or highlight that ability.

Next, I concur with Mightyman: this ship is a bit OP, especially when I see this:

A volley of three, EXTREMELY well-placed KMR-17 missiles can completely destroy a light battleship. A volley of about five to seven KMR-17's can completely destroy an average-sized battleship (if placed extremely well). Finally, a volley of twelve to twenty EXCRUCIATINGLY well-placed KMR-17's can completely destroy a dreadnought.

I know the Centauri is supposed to be powerful and all, but that's borderline unfair. The guns on this vessel, while plentiful, aren't necessarily that massive. My own Monarchy Class Battleship has much larger guns, and even that took a more than a few well-placed rounds to destroy large ships. With guns the size of those the Centauri sports, and considering that the ship is about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of a dreadnought (in these terms, meaning larger than a capital ship), I'd say that it'd take a few hundred rounds to knock out something of that size, and with the help of several other ships at that. Toe-to-toe with, say, another cruiser or destroyer, I can see this thing holding its own well. Meanwhile, it just mops the floor with individual frigates, no ifs, ands, or buts about that. Razz

Overall, I love the ship, but its "canon", so to speak, needs to be nerfed a bit. Razz
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:18 am
@Kojan: Thanks! Lol. Razz It doesn't close distance quickly at all. I just meant that the Centauri is capable of outrunning dreadnoughts and battleships. You are very correct lol; the Centauri canNOT close distance quickly. As for the OP part, I don't mean the guns; I meant the missiles! Razz Lol, twelve to twenty shots from a KP-6 or 7 is not close to destroying a dreadnought. I meant the KMR-17 Anti-Ship Missiles are capable of taking out those ships. Razz
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:07 pm
Those missiles are pretty decent size, I can easily see a few of them, if well placed (depending on the defending ship's design, armor, and shields), deffnitly taking out larger ships, but I agree that it would take a high amount of firepower from the cannons to do the same damage.
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:11 pm
Regardless of how big they are, a mass-produced cruiser should not be able to annihilate a battleship-sized vessel with a few hits, unless it was really flimsy. Another cruiser I could see, or if the ship itself was really elite (a super pocket-battleship, basically); but a frontline bloody-infantry-style cruiser destroying a battleship?!

Don't get me wrong, the ship is amazing, the missiles are just a bit OP IMHO.
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium

Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:01 pm
For starters, this thing is beautiful! The SNOT bricks on the side add a great texture to the hull. I also love how everything is at an angle. It gives the ship a very unique look that I really like.

Also, I hate to say anything remotely negative about this ship 'cause it's AWESOME ( Razz ), but I must agree with the others. It seems to have too much firepower, and although I'm all for big guns and blowing things up ( Very Happy ), it feels a bit excessive for a ship this size. I still love it, though! Keep up the great work! Very Happy
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:39 pm
@Ant:Yeah, IK, I was referring to the missile things.
@Mightyman: Lol ok, I'll change the 3 to a destroyer, 5-7 a cruiser, and 12-20 a battleship. Better? Razz
@Spud: Thanks! Glad you like the hull style! Smile As for OP, I meant the missiles, but I also heavily lowered their firepower. Razz
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:16 pm
Signifigantly, yes.  Razz 

(well, I was about to say that even 12-20 for a battleship was a bit much, but then I remembered this is a cruiser; it's only one step under battleship. I keep thinking this is smaller than it actually is).
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:16 pm
@Mightyman: Goody! Lol. Razz
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:49 pm
Ahem, "Size matters not". Just becuase it's easy to produce doesn't mean it isn't good. And Dreadnought is a vague term. We actually have "dreadnoughts" in the PCG smaller than this ship, the term all together is something of a misonmer throughout the lab and here that basically is used to describe a powerful ship. I still think that given time to build up speed five or even less of missiles that size kamakazing into a larger ship could tear a hole through it. If it tears it in the right spot, through the warp core or the bridge or something, then that ship is pretty well history.

I would think that the best defense against missiles like this would be to shoot them down, not hope your shields and armor can withstand them.
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:17 pm
@Ant: Pretty much everything you said + the fact that if the missiles tear a decent enough hole in a ship, everything/everybody inside would be sucked out. Razz  Twisted Evil Very Happy We'll, I guess that would depend on where it hit and where the people are. Very Happy And depending on what is flung out, it might throw some fighters or ammunition at neighboring ships. Razz
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:37 am
Mass-produced generally means sacrificing quality; it's possible to have a quality mass-produced unit (T-34s, for example), but having a weapon that can devastate ships much larger that itself? It's somewhat akin to putting several superheavy isokinetic cannons on every single destroyer, IMHO.

Now if this were a dedicated elite heavy missile cruiser, that would make more sense; the missiles would be the one thing the ship did, and it does'em well. But this is just a standard cruiser pretty much, so it shouldn't have anything *very* powerful.
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:43 am
@Mightyman: Well, what's wrong with powerful missiles? Modern destroyers are armed with missiles that could probably sink another ship with a couple of shots. And the missiles mounted on the Centauri are MUCH larger. Razz I think that it's very realistic (not trying to be arrogant or anything), especially if you base it on modern naval warfare. Obviously in space, you have shields and advanced armor, but tearing a hole in an important part of a ship could effectively destroy it.
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:47 am
Realistic, perhaps, but not balanced IMO. Personally, I feel we should place balance before realism. take photon torpedoes for example: They have large antimatter warheads, which should, by rights, be able to annihilate entire continents- but they're much weaker on the show because the scriptwriters had no idea what they were talking about having them do the damage the *should* do was more balanced. Likewise, although I'm sure missiles of that size would be powerful enough to destroy battleships, giving basic cruisers these weapons would be OP, and thus should be tuned down a bit- get me?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum