Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium

NDY Reaper-Class Carrier Empty NDY Reaper-Class Carrier

Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:56 pm
NDY Reaper (Background: Provenance by GTGraphics):

This one was a very interesting build. Relying entirely on SNOT structures, the Reaper is a different approach to starship design than the one I usually take. This ship eschews smooth curves (for the most part) and sleek profiles in favor of a bulkier and more industrial aesthetic. I've also utilized Technic pieces for the first time, as you can see in the structure of the port and starboard hulls as well as the engine pods.

Pic 2:

Pic 3:

Pic 4:

Pic 5:

Pic 6:

Pic 7:

The Reaper is inspired by the Titan Defense Systems Reaper, from the game Fractured Space.

TDS Reaper:

It's one of the most kick-butt ships in the game and also one of the best looking, in my opinion. My Reaper started out as an attempt to build the TDS Reaper in perfect grade, but I gave up pretty quick and decided to just make a new ship instead. Razz

The original Reaper has an open hangar bay right on the bow, a frankly idiotic place to put it seeing as though most of the Reapers weapons systems are on its bow thus forcing the ship to face an opponent head-on to do any appreciable damage. I wanted to include a hangar in my rendition, so I moved it to the stern. I made my Reaper shorter and less wide than the original, and I designed new textured hull armor that I think has a better feel than the gray metal plates of the first Reaper.

As far as construction goes, the hull is made of semi-modular components all connected to a SNOT foundation structure. A lot of the connections between modules and the foundation are less than ideal and not really practically feasible in real life, but this is a computer program, so I can do stuff like that and get away with it. Very Happy

SNOT undercarriage:

I decided to keep with the "gray metal" theme of the original, and put in some black, silver, and titanium gray detailing to make it less monotone.

The only part I'm still not sure of is the "corridor windows" chunk at the bow. I like the idea, but I'm not sure if I pulled it off right. What do you guys think?

The. lxf will be available shortly on the LEGO gallery.

Enjoy! Very Happy
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : De-Factioned

NDY Reaper-Class Carrier Empty Re: NDY Reaper-Class Carrier

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:19 pm
Woah....when I saw your WIP post that was not the ship I was expecting out of it. It's a beautiful solid ship. Very well defined in it's three dimensions, as opposed to being mostly 2D. My only complaints are the offset windows up front ( I would just make it solid black with a couple aligned windows for the "bridge" windows, but that's me. I do dislike the offset windows in yellow though.). Also the dark grey "horn" if you will on top, I dislike how it sticks out over the top armored hump on the ship. Other than that it looks like a solid, well filled out, battle ready carrier. I love the engines and hanger bay, and also how you did the front. Very good job all around!
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:51 pm
I wasn't quite sure on the first pic, but that profile absolutely sold me; this thing is beautiful. Razz Although I'm not quite sure about some of the side greeblings and the black windowed bit you mentioned, the ship as a whole is simply amazing. Also, I will say the Technic is a bit bare near the hangar areas... but those engines are just gorgeous. Seriously. Has a very nice industrial feel, much like you said; interesting to see you broaden your horizons. Well done. Razz Wink
Talmid
Talmid
Commander (PCG)
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets

Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:04 am
For the front windows, I'd make just one or two full-length lines of window on the same level. I think it would provide a neater look, whether that's better is up to you. Smile

Function wise, it's a death giver. LDD construction wise, this ship is a work of art.
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)

Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:44 am
LXF: http://www.us.lego.com/en-us/gallery/74602110-0f17-48fb-9d51-0c27cb37018a?index=11&categoryid=64929898-c52f-49d8-b106-c0c36314093c

Ant: Thanks! Yeah, that would probably look better than the jumble of "windows" that are there now. I'll do them in light translucent blue next time. Very Happy As for the "horn," I actually went back and forth over whether or not I should include it. In the end I decided it looked better because it interrupts what would have been a series of smooth curves forming a significant part of the hull, which is something that I was trying to get away from a little bit with this build. I do see how it could appear to be disruptive to the overall feel, but then again, this ship is supposed to be disruptive. Razz

Mighty: Thank you! I purposely left the Technic pieces towards the rear undecorated, because I think it keeps with the theme of mechanical industrial construction. Thanks though!

Talmid: Danke! That sounds like would be better. I'll experiment with a few different designs and see what happens.

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : De-Factioned

Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:35 pm
Not sure why people don't like the technic peices, I for one really like them and think that they go well with the ship.
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:11 pm
Wow.... As as already been said, this is NOT the ship I was expecting. This is not a super streamlined, agile predator. It's a bulky chunk of armor with giant engines bolted on, and a cavernous hanger in back.
Honestly, I love this thing. Great job. And don't listen to the naysayers on the windows. While the yellow, asymmetrical design doesn't seem to "work" for the ship, the IDEA works perfectly.
Well done!
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)

Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:18 pm
S-H: Thank you!

Ant: Thanks!

Dino: Danke! Yeah, that bit will have to undergo some revisions, I think.

Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:25 pm
Wow, this is a beautiful ship! You did a great job with the SNOT work; it makes the ship distinct from your other ships but you managed to still make it fit nicely with your fleet's general aesthetic. I especially love the prow. The way the viewports peek out from under the armor plating gives the ship a real feeling of depth and scale. Excellent work!
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)

Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:47 pm
MAD: Thank you!
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)

Mon May 16, 2016 1:22 pm
Apparently, I forgot to post the .lxf here. Hehe, oops. So, here it is a month late! Razz

http://www.us.lego.com/en-us/gallery/74602110-0f17-48fb-9d51-0c27cb37018a?index=1
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum