Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Talmid
Talmid
Commander (PCG)
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets

USS Magnanimous Empty USS Magnanimous

Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:30 pm
USS Magnanimous Ldb1I57

The Magnanimous is the latest to join the Federation's lineup of mega sized modern starships.

USS Magnanimous Wv68nG8
USS Magnanimous OYxHRrG

Considered the Galaxy Class of the 26th Century, the absolutely massive USS Magnanimous is classified as an explorer.  She has weapons, but only for defense.  As it is a modern Federation ship, deflector shielding, hull armor, and a complement of Quantum torpedoes come as standard equipment.  Most notably, the Magnanimous is capable of saucer separation.  A shuttle bay is present in the saucer section.

Powering the Magnanimous is not one but two warp cores - if one fails, the Magnanimous can still continue on its way, granted the second one doesn't fail too.  Two large warp nacelles propel the Magnanimous up to a terminal velocity of Warp 9.998, with a sustainable cruising speed of Warp 8.5.

Three wide impulse engines adorn the rear of the ship, two in the saucer section and one in the drive section, providing excellent maneuverability for the ship, both when separated and not.

Torpedo launchers facing in four directions are present at the saucer's edge, along with an additional forward facing launcher on the saucer's ventral surface, and both forward and rear facing launchers on the drive section.

Phaser strips are everywhere.

USS Magnanimous FA1P0ZD

So I starting building this ship because my good friend known as IbuggabuggaDalien wants a bigger presence in my Talmid Show animations which you really should see, and I agree with him.  His styling preferences called for a rounded-saucer design, and he also didn't want a little ship.

This happened.  I guess I got a bit carried away, and I'm not sure if the USS Magnanimous will indeed end up being used for its original intent - either way I think it turned out well.  I discovered a Studs-Not-On-Top method which I was not yet aware of, allowing me to significantly smooth out the ventral side of the ship way more than on anything else I've built.

It's also huge, but not unworkably so.  Overall it's one of my largest ships.  The latest Talmidon has around 1500 bricks I think, the Canis Majoris has just over 2000, and this tops out at just over 3100.

Lastly, here are some size comparisons with some of the Federation's finest.
- USS Talmidon IV (Upgrade Part 2)
- USS Canis Majoris
- USS Taurus
- Executive Class
- Galaxy Class
- DS-1c Pizza Delivery Ship Mk2
USS Magnanimous QuAXGty
Johnnyred
Johnnyred
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Human
https://phoenixcommandgroup.rpg-board.net

USS Magnanimous Empty Re: USS Magnanimous

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:42 pm
Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooooo gorgeous!

Seriously! This is probably your best ship to date. The nacelles are simply awesome, though I gotta admit... the ramscoops seem kinda small on it.... especially for such large nacelles. I do really like the massive impulse (or impuylse) engines, though for such large engines, I probably would've figured out some way to do some sort of detailing on or around them.

The shape of the engineering hull is simply awesome, I really love all the angles on it. The saucer itself is really cool and very well built as well, and I love what appears to be a shuttle hanger on the underside of the ship. My only biggest complaint about this ship is that the saucer seems to be set to far back on the engineering hull. It just seems kinda odd... My suggestion would be move the saucer farther forward, or shorten the forward part of the engineering hull.

Aside from that, this ship is amazing!
Talmid
Talmid
Commander (PCG)
Commander (PCG)

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:55 pm
Got it. One of my biggest concerns after completing the saucer was making sure the saucer and drive section remained proportionate to each other... which involved redesigning and extended the first drive section I tried to build, but a lot of the angles there are from the original idea. I get what you mean about the saucer looking too far back, the red nacelle parts too, that probably wouldn't be too hard to fix.

And I forgot. The LDD File can be downloaded here! LEGO Gallery Creation I highly recommend anyone who wants to download it and inspect it from the angles not shown in the pictures. Smile
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa

USS Magnanimous Empty Dino-Level Criticism Length

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:49 pm
I must admit, my first impressions were... less than impressed. Razz While an examination of the .lxf has shown some of the ship's strengths... I'm overall a little underwhelmed.

My primary issue is that the saucer extends from the middle of the engineering hull; as J-red mentioned, it needs to extend from the front. In addition, the rear section of the engineering hull needs to be shortened; it's way too long ATM, IMHO. The nacelles, though well built, suffer from the dual problem of tiny ramscoops and a questionable attachment point; there are precious few situations where one can get away with connecting the pylon and nacelle at the middle or end, and this unfortunately isn't really one of them (though still does work much better than most ships). In addition, the ship has a few minor issues, like the deflector coloration and impulse engines, those these can be easily ignored if need be.

On the flip side, there are some positives: the saucer and nacelles by themselves are simply gorgeous, in an industrial-yet-trek looking way. Indeed, the entire ship is very well built, and does an excellent job of combining SNOT and standard building techniques. The saucer construction itself was most skillful and well executed.

Basically, it's a good ship, but needs a little better assembly. Wink
Talmid
Talmid
Commander (PCG)
Commander (PCG)

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:59 pm
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm afraid I don't entirely understand the problem with the nacelle-pylon connection?  From what I understand it's a style I use on a lot of my ships, Talmidon included, and on the official Galaxy Class which, if it isn't obvious enough, the Magnanimous is heavily inspired by. Razz The deflector dish coloration is in modern-Federation style.

Deflector dish:
Spoiler:

I get what you mean with the engineering hull/drive section's rear area being long - the problem is the nacelles are too big and too high up that I decided to extend the engineering hull to get the nacelles back enough to not hit the saucer, however moving the saucer forwards could also solve this problem - kill two birds with one stone.

However the neck sticking out of the middle as opposed to the front of the engineering hull doesn't bug me so much, I mean, the Constitution did it.

Spoiler:

I dunno if it's my own bias because it's my ship and I love my ship or not, probably not, I like to think I'm not biased, but I don't understand a lot of the criticism, however I do agree that the buzzard collectors need to be larger - I just need to think of a way to accomplish that, maybe duplicate them on the nacelles' undersides.

edit: I just realized, the extended engineering hull reminds me of the USS Guardian minifig playset I built out of real bricks some many years ago. :O I will post a picture of that soon, I just need to find one.  I only took around four before I dismantled it....

edit: Thanks Ant! And here's a saucer separation picture.

USS Magnanimous HJ1KpZk

Last edited by Talmid on Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : De-Factioned

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:14 pm
I love the engineering section on this, very nice! And I also like the nacelles, how they're wider than they are tall instead of being round, and how the saucer "sits" on the engineering section instead of having a connecting pylon jutting out forward. And it's smooth, very nice. But the whole thing over all seems a tad bland....maybe you should make it in dark grey or add some bright colors to preety-ify it. Razz

Oh, and it needs a not so latin sounding name, or atleast one not so obviously talking about it's size. That always irks me when something great or large is named "magnanimous, Augustus Magnum, Big Boy, Extra-Largarian, Huge, Massivesous, etcetera.", call it a pet peeve if you want. Razz What about "Brute" or "Bronto" (from Brontosaurus) or Mammoth, or Broadsword, or something else large, but who's name doesn't actually mean "big". Razz
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:51 pm
Okay, I don't have time right now to critique this ship to the extend that it deserves, but I'll try.

It's pretty awesome, but needs some work IMHO. 

Nacelles are pretty cool, not as cool as your angled Galaxy class ones though IMO. Doubling the bussard collectors is also needed, as has been said. Top and bottom ram-scoops would be cool IMO. Which leads me to this: in trek ship designs, I believe that the nacelles are supposed to have a clear line of sight from the front of the ship to the bussard collectors. The awesome saucer is in the way here.
The engineering hull is very cool up front, but I feel that it is much too long and boxy in the rear. 
The navigational deflector does not bother me and I like it, though I might have used copper in place of the current brown, and a trans light blue instead of clear. Also WHAT SHIP CLASS IS THAT IN THE PIC?! IT'S AWESOME! I MUST HAVE AND BUILD IT! (NO DON'T TELL ME!!! MORE WORK! JK Razz)
Nacelle pylons, while very well done and beautiful may cause laughter from the Borg, who will conclude that they are simply much too thin compared to the task at hand: holding those MONSTROUS nacelles to the engineering hull. Even 1 plate thicker will do a world of good. 
I'm not entirely found of the saucer being so far back on the engineering hull. 
The saucer design is absolutely GORGEOUS, and I look forward to figuring out how you did it and ruthlessly, and without credit, stealing your design. GREAT job there! 

Overall, you have an absolute BEAST of the ship that could support quite a few ships in war or peace, and wouldn't be a good ship to be behind the phasers of, which I can only imagine are VERY powerful for such a massive ship.  
This ship requires what would normally only be a little work on a normal sized ship, but turns into quite a bit given the very impressive size. 

Well done. I especially love the saucer and the forward engineering hull. The bussard collector design, although too small, looks really cool IMO. Great work overall! Very Happy

Oh, the name also does feel a bit over-the-top, even for such a vessel as THIS.
Talmid
Talmid
Commander (PCG)
Commander (PCG)

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:37 pm
Thanks Dino! To be honest the nacelle pylons don't seem to thin to me, especially compared to the official Galaxy Class which has these skinny things for nacelle pylons. Either way, these are priorities for a future refit:

1. Move the saucer forward.
2. Make the engineering hull more interesting.
3. Duplicate the bussard collectors.
4. Make the nacelles lower or farther out, just get them around the saucer.
5. Rename it.

And that awesome ship is the Century Class, I think it's a fan ship made for Bridge Commander, but I got to fly it in Star Trek Legacy where it's called the Enterprise F, obviously not canon. Razz I built one in this thread: https://phoenixcommandgroup.rpg-board.net/t314-century-class-starship#3051
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:42 pm
OH... I see... well that probably explains half of the reason I love your design of it so much, because it is really a VERY cool ship IMO! 

But this one is pretty sweet too, just in a bigger, slower way.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum