Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Talmid
Talmid
Commander (PCG)
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets

Star Ranger II Empty Star Ranger II

Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:49 pm
Star Ranger II LDDScreenShot1853
Star Ranger II LDDScreenShot1859

An LDD file can be downloaded from the LEGO Gallery.

Okay, my modifications are complete. I entirely ditched the idea of putting conventional engines in and went for a single engine design that fits the Star Ranger frame better.

With an improved design from Talmidian Starship Industries, rocketing out of United Star Fighters Incorporated is the Star Ranger II! Designed to fulfill the same purpose as the previous version, the Star Ranger II is equipped with the standard micro torpedo launcher and bay in the nose, and two additional micro torpedo launchers under the wings, as well as wingtip torpedo assist-guiders. The 'Ranger II is also armed with two MP850 Lite Phaser Cannons, equipped around the lower hull, so it is capable of dogfighting at least to defend itself.

For defense, the Star Ranger II comes with ablative armor plating and standard deflector shielding.

Star Ranger II LDDScreenShot1852

With Windsprite Interceptors.

Star Ranger II GalleryFile

Stats.
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Star Ranger II Empty Re: Star Ranger II

Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:25 pm
It's nice, but has too many studs on the wings in my opinion. Otherwise it is a very decent fighter, a little plain from the side, front, and back angles, but from above and below it looks really good! I love the "nose wings" on the front! I might personally opt to go for back-swept wings, but that's just me.
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS

Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:32 pm
I like the overall shape of the fighter, but I agree with Dino that it's a bit plain, although I can't think of anyway to fix it. Razz The studs on the wings don't seem to fit, and I think you should go with SNOT wings instead.
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:51 am
Also, I think we are less amazed by this when you just released the Star Phoenix VI, which is just awesome. 

This isn't a bad fighter, it just isn't a spectacular fighter.
Talmid
Talmid
Commander (PCG)
Commander (PCG)

Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:41 pm
The problem with SNOT wings is they are very thick on a small fighter. Unfortunately the studs aren't going anywhere on this one, since the wings need to be thin or the fighter starts to look disproportionate. Well, it is LEGO you know. Razz I did find a way to convert LDD files to LDraw, and from there get it into a real 3D modeling program where I might be able to delete the studs, but oh well. xP

Maybe I should put smooth tiles on top of the wings. That might work. It works on all my other fighters. Maybe it won't hurt the appearance too much. I'll try it next. Wink
Talmid
Talmid
Commander (PCG)
Commander (PCG)

Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:42 pm
OK, I've been thinking about how to achieve a studless appearance on the wings and the other night I dreamed up a method of procuring such a model.  Here is the result.

Star Ranger II Ed0d3eb5-70d0-4635-8daa-205ce78fd79f?xml=1&showmedia=1&width=800&height=505
Star Ranger II 41224c3b-d9c4-4e36-a78a-072e9f854d47?xml=1&showmedia=1&width=800&height=505
LDD Link (LEGO Gallery)

It's still completely connected btw. That's always a requisite in my book. Structural integrity fields can't hold everything together. Razz
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:36 pm
Star Ranger II 547843959

Shocked

I love it! That's brilliant! Excellent work! 

I now have a new complaint about this fighter:

It is too perfect! I am now in danger of losing my job of fighter critique-er. Razz (JK!)
Talmid
Talmid
Commander (PCG)
Commander (PCG)

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:55 pm
Thanks! Sounds like I got good. Razz
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum