Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Out of Character Discussion

+5
Lord Commandant Jace
Dino27
Talmid
Lonestar
Johnnyred
9 posters
Go down
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium

Out of Character Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Out of Character Discussion

Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:12 pm
J-Red: What was that a Batmobile on the underside of the Millennium Falcon? Out of character indeed. Razz
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:09 pm
J-red. My knowledge of MWT grew exponentially last night reading the sections of the Wikipedia article I quoted. And some more reading today. Razz

Warp 10 travel: according to ONE (and this website has had flaws in the past on other subjects, so take it with a shaker of salt) calculator says that traveling at warp 9.975 (The max speed of the Intrepid) it would take 7.2048 seconds to travel 12,000,000,000 (12 billion) km. And Mars is ONLY about 77,000 km from the Earth, and 77,000 is only 155844.155844th of 12 billion, that means that it would take a mere 0.0000462308 seconds to travel from Earth to Mars at warp 9.975. So only 4.62308 hundred-thousandths of a second would have passed in transit. Essentially all organic crew would be unable to tell that any time at passed at all. An android, or the ship's computer would be a different story.
Okay... this is where things get really interesting: I looked up the Wave Motion Engine on the Yamato wiki.
"in its (Yamato's) first test it travels from Earth's Moon to Mars in one minute" - Yamato Wiki
I can't find much on the internet about WMT, so I have no idea if this was the max speed, or just a slow test run, but if it WAS max speed, than modern Trek warp may actually be much faster. I think you're safe in your use of WMT warp 10 speeds as
1: the Yamato traveled 148,000 light years (all of Star Trek Voyager was about trying to travel just 70,000) and
2: transwarp already exists in Trek, so the tachyon engine system may just be a form of transwarp in the PCG-verse.
And since transwarp (warp 10 +) is infinite speed, I think that's what it would take to travel almost a hundred and a half thousand light years in one mission. So I think you're safe in assuming that WMT is a form of transwarp. Smile
So over great distances, no time passes while actually in Wave Motion speed, so while there is little difference between WMT and Warp when running down to WalMart, trips across country are infinitely faster with WMT, or other transwarp.

And I agree about the Abrams-verse. The cool thing is: The Narada and Spock's Jellyfish ship originated in the Prime Universe. So they are technically canon, and fair game for STO to include licensing wise. I think the Narada is already some kind of prize in game, but IDK for sure.

Scare. Oh, it was more than just discussion Razz so one was shouting yet, but the FEEL of it was not one of just a calm talk.

Thanks for clarifying everything. Smile

You weren't playing our enemies and I wasn't playing my own character, so I can hardly complain without references to cooking containers calling each other black coming to mind.
As to player Imperial Romulans. They are very much like ancient Romans. They live for the honor of their country and their careers, but not the Klingon sense of honor in battle. They are fierce, immensely proud, even to the point of believing themselves superior to all other races, and destined to rule the stars. They mistrusting, in fact, paranoid would be a better description than just mistrusting, the Tal Shiar does that to you. They are cold, calculating, strategic, deeply emotional, but they tend to control their personal feelings of wrath for the greater wrath of the Empire. And they have a bone to pick with the Federation as they scars caused by Spock's failure to save Romulus run very, very deep. You've done pretty well thus far. Do remember that NORMAL Imperial Romulan troops (unlike the crazy set of Rommies in my subplot Razz ) are self controlled, rank-oriented, tactically inclined, and very, very disciplined. Think secret agent movies. They are soldiers. Not barbarian berserkers like the Klingons, nor unfeeling and without fear of death,Borg drone. The are just perfectly perfectly trained soldiers. They don't want to die, but they won't run away from death.

J-red. Actually, Trek ships have structural integrity fields (SIF) and hulls comprised of VASTLY stronger metals than anything we have now. That said, I agree that the classic Trek design of nacelles, a saucer, and engineering hull, all connected by pylons, is inherently an absurdly weak design. But we overlook that. Razz

PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS

Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:48 pm
@J-red: Interesting. Razz However, I've been reading about the WMG here: http://yamato.wikia.com/wiki/Wave_Motion_Gun

Anyway, it says the weapon cannot destroy a planet, but only something about the size of Australia. Also, based on the wiki, the WMG was ship-long, and the six shots would completely destroy the ship it was mounted on. In the Argo's case, it can only fire one shot, so I'd *assume* that a single shot would destroy the Argo. But, I'm not an expert, so I wouldn't really be the one to ask.

I'm not trying to be flame-war inciting, but I'm simply unfamiliar with the technology. Razz
Andre Tholvel
Andre Tholvel
CEO
Location : Aboard the IFS Varda, viewing construction of the next flagship.

Character sheet
Faction:
Species: Human

Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:08 pm
While I agree with Dino on the fact that ST ships have an inherently weak design (and a bit silly looking as well, which is why I've always disliked ST ships in general), I don't believe most starships would have a problem flying in an atmosphere, provided some method is given for them to stay in the air with their suddenly massive weight (e.g., Yaka's "floating" metal, SW's repulsorlifts). In fact, many sci-fi universes have ships DESIGNED for this, such as the Venator-class landing ship from SW.

All this to say that I don't think realism in technology should be overlooked. I would say that 99% of PCG tech has good scientific grounds. The one thing I actually like about ST is the fact that they work out most of their tech with real science (except when they get lazy, like with the Heisenberg Nullifier). What I mean by that, is that none of us, or very few of us, just come up with a new weapon or an improvement on an old one and say "it works because it works." Typically, either the person comes up with at least an attempt at scientific background, or somebody else does for them. While I agree that we should be open to other universes including our own, lest we run on a strictly ST universe which would be super boring for everyone, I don't think realism of technology should be excluded in discussion of RP actions or technology. Razz
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:55 pm
"Actually, Trek ships have structural integrity fields (SIF) and hulls comprised of VASTLY stronger metals than anything we have now." - myself

I agree that most ships would be fine in atmosphere.

However, the dedicated Republic landing craft from SW would be the Acclamator Assault Ship. Although the Venator class attack cruiser was quite capable of landing on a planet, as seen in Ep-III.

Andre Tholvel
Andre Tholvel
CEO

Character sheet
Faction:

Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:18 pm
I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was agreeing with you/disagreeing with Jred.

Bah, sorry, I should know that. xD I'M TIRED.

*continues math homework*
Lonestar
Lonestar
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:47 pm
@Dino:
Thanks for the precis on Imperial Rommies. Wink I will need that for future reference to be sure! BTW, my latest RPG post is up, and it features the Enemy. Let me know if you think I need to change the characters in any way to make it more realistic. Wink

And where's your subplot? Suspect LOL.
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:17 pm
Scare. Sorry, I've been pretty depressed lately because I have nothing meaningful to do. Odd, when I'm busy, I wish I had more free-time, when I have loads of free-time, I wish I had something to do. Razz

Two quick things.

1: Rommies use disruptors, not phasers.
2: I seriously doubt that anyone who the Tal Shiar took would ever be seen alive again, much less serving in the military, however, there could be rare exceptions, such as proof of innocence being found while they're still alive, as your post suggests. (Think of the Tal Shiar as the Nazi Gestapo.) Very few have ever encountered even a fraction of what they actually do; but everyone knows that they exist, and fears them a great deal. If a Tal Shiar agent says "jump" most Romulans will jump, high, but some Navy members are bold enough to question, although you don't live long doing that.
Andre Tholvel
Andre Tholvel
CEO

Character sheet
Faction:

Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:40 pm
Scare, I think you should schedule large conflicts for times when you know you'll be able to monitor the RPG almost constantly. Every post doesn't have to be storyline, good battles consist of a lot of people doing their own thing, with the GM helping them flow together.
Lonestar
Lonestar
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:39 pm
@Dino: Thanks again for your guidance! I will make the necessary adaptions. Wink

@Supe: Good idea, Campbell! I will keep that in mind. Wink
Andre Tholvel
Andre Tholvel
CEO

Character sheet
Faction:

Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:21 pm
Also, your gaze isn't quite right for a dramatic profile pic. You need to be looking slightly UP, as if onwards to glory and gore, not DOWN, as if to a chicken. Razz

...it's not actually bad, I just noticed that you're looking slightly down instead of up and now it's bothering me. xD
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:50 am
OCD much? (I would know) Seriously, chicken is what Scare does. Razz
Johnnyred
Johnnyred
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
https://phoenixcommandgroup.rpg-board.net

Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:06 am
Also, Johnnyred is waiting aboard the Arondite for everyone. Razz
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:02 pm
Right....
Must... become.. inspired!
Must... write!
Lonestar
Lonestar
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:53 pm
@Supe:
I'm a poultry keeper! My world is ground-bound! Razz

@J-red:
Whoops! Heading there right now! Razz
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Species: Khent-sa

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:41 pm
I already beamed over (Well, technically a secondary character, but you know what I mean). Razz
Andre Tholvel
Andre Tholvel
CEO

Character sheet
Faction:

Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:48 pm
Scare, again, anything you want to do involving the romulans double-crossing DI, could help me get actually involved. Though now I guess it has to wait until the next conflict. Razz
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:26 pm
Just a note here. Everyone keeps talking about Section 31 as if they're the bully across the street. They're not. They're MUCH worse than that, not only because of how powerful they are, but because they are a ghost. There is VERY little evidence that they actually exist at all. The Federation does not acknowledge that such a organization even exists. If you encounter them, and you're their enemy, you're not going to live to tell about it. They have been seen to OCCASIONALLY (read, a couple times every hundred years that we know of) recruit someone, but only provide them with just enough intel to do their bidding.

They're not quite the same as the Tal Shiar. They are even MORE secretive.

While the Tal Shiar works behind closed doors and what is the largest and most powerful intelligence/(secret) "police" organization in the explored galaxy, rivaled in the area of intelligence, not military might, only by Section 31, and once, but no longer, surpassed in intel gathering only by the Cardassian Obsidian Order. The Tal Shiar isn't afraid to openly use power. WHY they are doing it, what their big plans are... these things are secret. But a Tal Shiar agent isn't afraid to threaten citizens, or the military, with death and torture. Romulans DO occasionally see bits and pieces of what they do, and they are TERRIFIED of them. Although the only encounter a LIVING Romulan will have with them that he can tell his family about is either receiving orders from an agent, or knowing someone who did, or knowing OF someone who just disappeared. The Tal Shiar's EXISTENCE is common knowledge, what they do besides whatever they want, is unknown.

Section 31 on the other hand... is FAR more mysterious. They answer to NO ONE. At one time, the Chairmen of the Tal Shiar was actually a Section 31 Agent. (So, like any good set of Intelligence groups, they have their own agendas and spies everywhere.) To most people, it is doubtful if they even exist, as the VAST majority have NEVER encountered them. They have a BAD reputation without hardly even being known about. They are very hush-hush. And although they claim to be loyal to the Federation and its security... their true loyalty is unclear... very scary.

I'm just giving some background. Wink Remember... with Section 31, it is a game of spies and lies, not open confrontation.
Lonestar
Lonestar
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:44 pm
Thanks for your info, Dino! As I have said before, I say again: I need all the help I can get, and an occasional ST pointer from you helps keep things going smoothly. Wink
Johnnyred
Johnnyred
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:52 am
... This gives me an idea for having an RPG where the antagonist is Section 31... maybe a sequel to SoL?
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:58 am
As I told Scare in a PM... my subplot will likely continue past SoL... this RPG may become one of the biggest events in PCG history, because so much more is coming from it. Granted, it's no-where near Op Omega levels yet, but that was in our hay-day.
Lonestar
Lonestar
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:31 pm
Even if SoL isn't the biggest thing in our history since Op Omega, I'm glad that, at the very least, its role in our history is spawning so many other ideas! For that reason alone it is good to have it. Wink Eventually, when SoL is finished, we need to decide where it fits in the PCG timeline...
Johnnyred
Johnnyred
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:38 am
I'd say much later in the timeline... Possibly where I have those blank PCG stories.
Andre Tholvel
Andre Tholvel
CEO

Character sheet
Faction:

Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:35 am
I kind of assumed that SoL was happening "now." Razz
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:35 am
Same as Daragon. Razz I think I messed up the timeline very bad...at least PXE's timeline. Razz And I will try to find that post for you J-red. IK I PMed Scare about payment, but tbh I think I forgot kind of. Razz
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum