Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Kojan
Kojan
High Admiral (CIR)
High Admiral (CIR)
Faction : Caldera Imperial Republic

Character sheet
Faction:
Species: Human
https://phoenixcommandgroup.rpg-board.net/

Imperial Army Organization Empty Imperial Army Organization

Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:30 am
The Imperial Army is massive, fielding over 25 billion soldiers. As the Empire expanded in population, territory, and military size, Imperial High Command quickly found that traditional methods of organizing forces would be a tedious, confusing, and complicated. As such, a new method was developed: instead of combining the troops from several worlds into one of hundreds of armies, planets would train their own regiments with troops only from that planet.  For example, the first regiment created on the planet Klixx is known as the Klixxian 1st.

Due to the reliance of a regiment on the planet’s population, the numbers of regiments and manpower of said regiment is inconsistent throughout the Empire. The Civitan 23rd, for instance, is 400,000-strong, as it comes from a highly-populated city planet. However, the small ice-dwarf planet Dagäna has but a single regiment, the Dagänian 1st, with a strength of only 25,000 men. “Army” is a collective term referring to all of the regiments fielded by a planet (ex.: Klixxian Army). In a particularly large campaign involving multiple regiments, an “Army” may also be a grouping of regiments, even if these regiments come from different worlds. These unit assignments are temporary, and are disbanded when a campaign is concluded.

Though it may vary from planet to planet, regiments are often led by colonels. Regiments are then broken down into battalions, led by lieutenant colonels and majors. Companies are led by captains, and platoons by lieutenants. Platoon leaders may further break down their command into squads and fireteams.

Considering the size of Armies and some regiments, military planets are dedicated entirely to housing these populations. In peace time and non-deployment, these planets are farmed by the soldiers in order to meet required work-out quotas and to feed the planet's population. Regiments stationed on military planets continue to keep the regiment name of their founding planet. The Civitan 31st would not rename itself the Midwaian 31st.

In times of war, regiments are stationed upon individual or groups of Conveyance-class transport ships. Some of the particularly large regiments are essentially small flotillas, while the smallest regiments are individual ships.

Last edited by Kojan on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:03 pm; edited 5 times in total
Andre Tholvel
Andre Tholvel
CEO
Location : Aboard the IFS Varda, viewing construction of the next flagship.

Character sheet
Faction:

Imperial Army Organization Empty Re: Imperial Army Organization

Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:43 am
So one grand army is 25 times the population of Earth? That's.... a LOT. :PBut very nice!

Have fun designing a starship that big. The Eclipse, at around 17,000 meters, carried only 800,000 troops-- you want to carry 125 times that many people. If you increase the size proportionally, you're looking at a ship 2,125,000 meters long.

The second Death Star was 900,000 meters wide. You need a ship 2.3 times longer than the Death Star.

Yeah, have fun. Razz

Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:26 am
Kojan: very nice! That's a lot of troops. Having them farm their own planets for a workout is an interesting idea.

Daragon: The Eclipse and Death Star were not designed primarily as army transports. They were primarily built to hold weapons, and lots of them. Both had superlasers, which in and of themselves required a massive hypermatter reactor. take out the weapons, and you lower the reactor size, the crew needed, and of coarse the space taken up. Throw in a more practical transport design, and you could probably fit at least a few million troops. Adding in tanks, mechs, and other equipment will be difficult, but possible.
Kojan
Kojan
High Admiral (CIR)
High Admiral (CIR)

Character sheet
Faction:

Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:01 pm
@Supe- Actually, the Earth has about 7 billion people, so the Imperial Army in its entirety has only 1/7 of our population. That being said, it's still an entire one seventh of our population. Razz

As for the ship, I'm thinking something that's large, has few weapons (like Maxwell suggested), and can be built in greater numbers than other capital ships.

@Maxwell- Excellent suggestions, and I'm glad you like my... series of numbers. Razz
Andre Tholvel
Andre Tholvel
CEO
Location : Aboard the IFS Varda, viewing construction of the next flagship.

Character sheet
Faction:

Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:07 pm
Yes, I apologize, I wrote that at three in the morning and had no idea what I was talking about. Razz
Kojan
Kojan
High Admiral (CIR)
High Admiral (CIR)

Character sheet
Faction:

Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:46 pm
Believe me, I have similar problem a lot at the time, what with my summer sleep schedule. Razz
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : De-Factioned

Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:41 pm
Nice, everything's so neat and easy. Razz I need to make something like this....once I figure out just how many troops the Atnlays have....I'm not sure it it's a thousand or a half a billion yet. Razz
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:25 pm
Man... you are organized Kojan! Nice system! And good idea about the farming!

(Sent via phone)
Kojan
Kojan
High Admiral (CIR)
High Admiral (CIR)

Character sheet
Faction:

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:27 pm
Army size and numbering system have been tweaked to make it less confusing and complicated. The Army is now 5 times what it originally was (1 billion ---> 5 billion) to make things a little more realistic. You can't fight a war on a galactic scale with the population of a single country of one planet. I'll probably increase this again at some point.
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa

Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:16 pm
Yeah, even 5 billion is a little low. Depending on the amount of planets we're looking at and the average population of said planets, I wouldn't entirely be surprised to see trillions- but again, that could really vary.
Kojan
Kojan
High Admiral (CIR)
High Admiral (CIR)

Character sheet
Faction:

Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:04 pm
Yeah, I'm probably going to raise it to the tens of billions. I don't think I'm going to go into the trillions, though; the Imperial Guard from Warhammer 40k fields those numbers, but the Imperium (humanity) has thousands of worlds under its control. The Yaka Empire has several dozen at most, maybe a little more than a hundred, but not thousands.
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:38 pm
Yeah, I'm semi-familiar with Warhammer 40K, so I know where you're coming from; that being said, I always felt it underestimated the amount of people that would imply (then again, I always feel sci-fi underestimates... well, pretty much everything Razz )

But yeah, if the Yaka empire only has a few dozen worlds, tens of billions sounds about right.
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:28 pm
I think though that the breakdown so concretely is a little ehh, as a company specializing in armor is proabbly going to have less peeps than a company specializing in just boots (infantry). Five guys to fireteam (20 to a squad) versus three guys in a tank, four tanks to a squad, or however to organize it, point being your numbers are going to flex once you start adding stuff that isn't as perfectly divided up as infantry, such as a squad of artillery, which may have more or less peeps than tanks, which may have more or less peeps than a completely different type of artillery, versus IFVs, veruss gunships and dopships, etcetera. So your numbers are going to fluctuate some, I think you should try to take this into account (although it makes things infinitly more complciated, I know cuase I'm spent the better part of school trying to organize my military while taking this into account. Razz )
Kojan
Kojan
High Admiral (CIR)
High Admiral (CIR)

Character sheet
Faction:

Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:04 pm
So... basically I did a complete revamp of how the Imperial Army is organized. This should help greatly when it comes to clarity and organization. How don't have to refer to a handbook to know where a regiment comes from any more.
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:26 pm
Nice! I like the new system alot! It seems to solve alot of problems but at the same it still seems like a logistical nightmare trying to get all the "militias" of a 25 Billion man army together, but oh well, I still like it better than your older version, plus it is much more flexible for smaller conflicts.
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:26 pm
Hmmmm... so you reformed the Imperial Army into the Imperial Guard. Nice. Razz
Kojan