Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS

jaguar - CUV-6 Jaguar (direct combat variants) Empty CUV-6 Jaguar (direct combat variants)

Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:02 am
The CUV-6 Jaguar is the Coalition's utility vehicle of choice. Capable of mounting a variety of RWSs (remote weapon systems), including machine guns, autocannons, antitank guns, and missile launchers, it has been converted into many variants. However, its modifiability is not its only advantage. Fast, decently-armored, easy to nanufacture, and with a good carrying capacity of four soldiers and a driver, the Jaguar has also been used as a support vehicle.

While vehicles like the Lynx and Cougar were adequate, it was decided that a new mobile infantry platform was needed with equal carrying capacity but better all terrain capability and armor. Once again, Koznovod Land Dynamics answered, this time with the CUV-6 Jaguar. Equipped with Minsk composite armor, a better engine, nano-tires with better traction, and maintaining a similar weight, the Jaguar was the ideal replacement for both vehicles. It entered service in 2594 and has proved itself as a robust and versatile vehicle on any terrain and in all types of conditions.

CUV-6 Jaguar:

Specifications:
Model: CUV-6 Jaguar
Developer: KLD
Used by: ICS
Developed: 2594
Produced: 2594 - present
In service: 2594 - present
Combat service: Second Interstellar War

CUV-M1 Jaguar LRV:

The CUV-6M1 Jaguar LRV is a reconnaissance variant of the Jaguar Chassis. It is armed with a remote-operated 15.4 mm machine gun which is useful against infantry and lightly-armored targets. Jaguar LRVs are generally interchangeable with CUV-6M2 Jaguar IFVs, although IFV variants are more powerful, with a 25 mm autocannon. LRVs are designed primarily for scouting, reconnaissance, surveillance, infantry transport, and infantry fire support.

Specifications:
Model: CUV-6M1 Jaguar LRV

Crew: 1 (driver) + 4 infantry (1 fire team)

Armor: Minsk Mk. 4 Protection System

Main armament: 15.4 mm machine gun (remote-operated)

Top speed: 196 km/h (~122 mph) on road

CUV-6M3 Jaguar MGS/TD:

The CUV-6M3 Jaguar MGS/TD is the tank destroyer variant of the Jaguar. Armed with the Shelton Arms 130 mm AT-2 coilgun (originally intended for the MBT-2 but replaced by a 152 mm gun), it is capable of penetrating most tanks on the battlefield. It is also equipped with a co-axial mounted 7.62 mm machine gun and a PD-EBP (a different one). While it can be used as an assault gun, it is generally less effective than the dedicated Jaguar variant.

130 mm AT-2
Developer: Shelton Arms
Developed: 2590
Produced: 2591 - present
Type: coilgun
Caliber: 130 mm
Ammunition: API, SAPHE, HE, HEP
Rate of fire: ~21.82 rounds/min
Muzzle velocity: ~25%c
Maximum effective range: 171000 km

Specifications:
Model: CUV-6M3-130 Jaguar MGS/TD (Jaguar-130)
Produced: 2595 - present
In service: 2595 - present

Crew: 2 (driver, gunner)

Armor: Minsk Mk. 4 Protection System, EBP-4

Main armament: 130 mm AT-2
Secondary armament: 7.62 mm machine gun (co-axial)

Top speed: 163 km/h (~101 mph)

Designer's Notes: Well, I think I've finally found an HMMWV-esque vehicle that I actually like. I was quite happy with the front, exhaust pipes, sensors/viewports, rugged looking wheels, and detailing, such as the storage box and external fuel tank. (don't ask me why it's there, it's aesthetics) Overall, I really like the profile of the vehicle, at least, a lot better than the Lynx or Cougar. There are interior changes between the LRV and MGS, although I decided not to change the exterior, as I felt that the aesthetics were fitting enough.

I'm obviously not done with the Jaguar chassis of course; I still have quite a few variants in mind that I need to construct. I plan on doing the IFV variant next (although technically it's not an IFV since it doesn't carry a full squad of infantry), and then some other variants, which I will continually post to this topic. I'll most likely end up finishing all the direct combat variants before moving on to a topic for all the support variants, of which I already have several in mind.

I actually changed the PD-EBP with a different one which I personally prefer over the previous version.

Just in case anybody is confused, I am using this vehicle (CUV-6 Jaguar) as a replacement for the Lynx and Cougar (redesignated CUV-2 and CUV-3 respectively). I might also develop some different armor packages for the Jaguar (e.g. slat armor or ERA or both) in the future.

Last edited by PXR on Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
Lord Admiral Ariklego
Lord Admiral Ariklego
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium; Greylark Provincial Navy
Location : New Carradock, Imperial Core Territories, MSI Space

jaguar - CUV-6 Jaguar (direct combat variants) Empty Re: CUV-6 Jaguar (direct combat variants)

Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:16 am
Pretty good! Very reminiscent of a Humvee, but with a more tough/armored look to it.

My one complaint is that the 130mm coilgun variant seems kind of impractical. The proportions are pretty big for the vehicle it seems like, and you'd have a bit of issues with recoil when firing it off. Also, while I don't know exactly how big a 130mm round is, I'm guessing the turret wouldn't be able to fit more than a handful.

Even still, very cool, and good work. Razz
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa

jaguar - CUV-6 Jaguar (direct combat variants) Empty Re: CUV-6 Jaguar (direct combat variants)

Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:25 am
Oh... wow. that is nice. Razz I do love your ground vehicles, and this is no exception. i like the heavy, rugged look the wheels give; all in all, very nice! Razz
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:17 am
@Arik: Thanks!

As for the 130 mm...yeah, that was a problem I was thinking about, but honestly, I have no solution. TBH, most remotely high-caliber guns will probably have the same problem, and I don't want to take it off. Sad Razz Actually, I think I might have an idea...

While I probably will keep the 130 just because I don't want to make the gun smaller (IK, good reason Razz), I might have a potential solution...

Anyway, thanks. Razz

@Tetra: Thank you! Glad you liked the wheel choice. Very Happy
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:42 pm
These are absolutely AWESOME! I'm too tired to say more right now, but I loved the rugged, off-road capable, durable military truck look! And while the 130 mm and turret is huge, it looks cool to me. Razz 

Don't know what came when, but having it be a coilgun seems like a good fix to me... and with no need for propellant in the shell casings, which frees up more room for more rounds... it makes perfect sense to me! Very Happy
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Faction : MSI
http://starwarplay.forumotion.com/

Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:16 pm
This kinda reminds me of the...Tumbler from Batman (link: https://www.google.com/search?q=batman+tumbler&safe=active&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=AJigVbLMGImuogSikb34CA&ved=0CB4QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=643) which is really cool. I like the idea of a RWS (something I've been working on myself, even) and while a TD variant is cool...I'm finding the use of a cannon to be a hard sell. Usually missiles are used on a vehicle like this, probably for the reason Arik mentioned: recoil. However the idea of using it as an assault gun is valid...maybe adopt a StuG/Hetzer-style setup?
Oh and if I come out with a turret that looks like the Jaguar TD (read: when I get around to making an assault gun support variant of the XVC-110 series) I'll be sure to credit you. Because that turret just looks nice.
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:26 am
@Dino: Thanks, glad that it looks rugged! And thanks. Razz

Huh, now that you say that, it's kinda true, although the turret is still probably small. Razz

@Jace: I guess it does seem reminiscent of the Tumbler, although I didn't base the design off of it. Razz

As for recoil, yeah, although I'm probably be keeping the 130. However, I do have a few things that I did which I'll show after this which may, at the least, keep the vehicle semi-stable. Although perhaps an ATGM vehicle is the best way to go...

I'm not sure what I'll do for the assault gun; I'm still thinking about it. Razz Pretty sure it's just going to be a howitzer or gun launcher mounted in a turret, rather than an actual turretless assault gun.

And thank you, glad you like the turret! Very Happy Looking forward to your vehicle.

So, modifications to the CUV-6M3 Jaguar MGS/TD:

The ammo problem:

Stabilizer legs:

Yeah...I'm done with the MGS for now, at the very least. I'll keep out the sciency parts for the sake of keeping them out, and anyway, I have a new version ready for trials! Very Happy

EDIT: Ok, so I came up with what probably was a simple solution to the problem: a smaller gun!

CUV-6M3B-95 Jaguar MGS/TD (Jaguar 95):

As designated, the new Jaguar MGS is armed with a 95 mm AT-6 coilgun, also by Shelton Arms. While an efficient and effective gun, it features drastically less muzzle velocity, range, and overall kinetic energy compared to the 130 mm AT-2, reducing its recoil drastically. Tests revealed that the new 95 mm gun could be mounted on the Jaguar without major stability problems, as well as increasing its ammunition capacity at the same time, thanks to its smaller shells. Though the 95 mm cannot compare to the raw firepower of other Shelton Arms guns, its huge velocity compared to any conventional smoothbore gun means that it still has good penetrating power. Coupled with the mobility of the Jaguar chassis, it can get flanking shots when the frontal armor of a target is too strong.

However, stability and better ammo capacity weren't the only advantages of the 95 mm gun. Being lighter, and with lighter ammunition (despite carrying more of it), the Jaguar 95 was also faster than the Jaguar 130. While the speed increase was not huge, it meant that it could use shoot and scoot tactics very effectively, or quickly reposition to deal with changing battlefield situations much more efficiently than the original MGS. (and it did not require stabilizer legs)

Designer's Notes: I changed the gun mantlet slightly, changed the gun (obviously), changed the position of the co-ax, and made the smaller ammo. (all compared to the second modification)

So yeah, the new, new, new Jaguar MGS/TD...what do you think?

EDIT #3: This is just to add the gun's data file.

95 mm AT-6
Developed: 2595
Type: coilgun
Caliber: 95 mm
Ammunition: API, SAPHE, HE, HEP
Rate of fire: ~29.78 rounds/min
Muzzle velocity: ~21.4%c
Maximum effective range: ~123000 km

Last edited by PXR on Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:58 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : New gun, grammar, data file)
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:54 am
CUV-6M4 Jaguar AA

The CUV-6M4 Jaguar AA is the dedicated air defense/anti-aircraft variant of the CUV-6 Jaguar. And the M4 variant is well-equipped for its role. With four 20 mm Bremen autocannons, two quadruple tube missile launchers, and a highly advanced communications and sensor array, it is capable of locating aircraft from afar and quickly eliminating them before they can reach friendly units. Aside from its armaments, most of its other characteristics are similar to the other Jaguars, with the same armor package and similar mobility.

CUV-6M4 Jaguar AA:

While the Jaguar AA was initially designed for an air-defense role, it is capable of also being used as a TD or anti-infantry vehicle. It's missile launchers generally carry AIMs but can be equipped with ATGMs for an anti-tank/general armor role. In addition, the four 20 mm autocannons, while effective against aircraft, can be just as devastating against infantry and other soft targets. High rate of fire, and the sheer number of them, means that an M4 Jaguar can blanket a single area with shells, ripping apart infantry and light vehicles. And, with a highly advanced sensor and communications array, the Jaguar can be used to coordinate attacks if necessary, making it very versatile. While it remains an air-defense vehicle at heart, many M4 Jaguars have been deployed for multiple purposes when other, more specialized vehicles aren't available.

Specifications:
Model: CUV-6M4 Jaguar AA

Crew: 3 (driver, gunner, communications operator)

Main armament: 4x 20 mm autocannons
Secondary armament: 2x quadruple tube missile launchers (generally loaded with AIMs but can also be equipped with ATGMs for AT purposes)

Top speed: 191 (~119 mph) on road

Designer's Notes: Whelp, this is the AA version. I think that I really liked the way it turned out. My favorite part is the turret, although it took a long time to refine it. The radar dish in particular took a long time to get right. I love the 20 mm autocannons, the soda can missile launchers, and the radar array. There are actually two magazines at the rear of the turret though there is no auto loading system (couldn't fit it in such a small space).

I'm also quite happy with the interior with the three crew layout and the command stations (similar to the SPASs). So yeah, all in all, it turned out very well for me. I was extremely happy with the end result.

Inspiration for the turret came from the ADATS (air defense anti-tank system). http://www.army-technology.com/projects/adats/images/adats9.jpg

And yes, I am well aware that I am double-posting, so sorry about that.

EDIT: There was a problem with the turret where some pieces were floating. That has now been rectified and it is fully connected.

EDIT #2: Previously there were problems with the traverses of some of the remote turrets (namely the MGS and AA) due to the long black bar directly in front. I have now fixed that problem and all turrets can now freely traverse.

Spoiler:
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:14 pm
CUV-6M2 Jaguar ICV

CUV-6M2 Jaguar ICV:

The CUV-6M2 Jaguar ICV is the main transport version of the Jaguar. It's main and only armament is a Bremen 25mm autocannon. It is designed to transport four man fire teams straight into a combat zone and provide them with fire support. While the 25 mm autocannon is not as powerful as comparable Bremen autocannons, such as the 40 mm AC-6, it is more than adequate for its anti-infantry and light vehicle role. Like the other Jaguars, it is fitted with the Minsk Mk. 4 Protection System and can use similar armor packages. However, the M2 also features an EBP-4 for PD.

Specifications:
Model: CUV-6M2 Jaguar ICV

Crew: 1 (driver) + 4 infantry

Main armament: 25 mm autocannon

Top speed: 194 km/h (~120 mph) on road

CUV-6M6X Jaguar MLS

CUV-6M6X Jaguar MLS:

The CUV-6M6X Jaguar MLS is an experimental Mobile Laser System. Equipped with two high-power recharging lasers, it was designed initially as a way to combat large-scale dropships, or even small assault ships en masse. However, the project was cancelled due to its impracticality and lack of demand. Any Coalition ground assault would be supported by fleet and air assets, and if ground forces were cut off, using MLRSs and MRGSs (mobile railgun system) would be much more effective. And in a defensive op, Coalition ground forces would always have planetary or lunar defenses (massive-caliber railguns and coilguns), heavy-duty autocannons, long-range missile silos, etc, even if they did not have Naval or aerospace support. The project was cancelled, and of the 27 prototypes, only 6 remain. While the Jaguar MLS was officially abandoned, several project leaders are still trying to find a way to make a possible M6 variant a reality.

Specifications:
Model: CUV-6M6X Jaguar MLS
Developed: 2598
Produced: 2600
In service: N/A
Combat service: N/A

Main armament: 2x high-powered lasers
Secondary armament: 2x 7.62 mm machine guns

Top speed: 187 km/h (115 mph) on road

CUV-6M7 "Cobalt" Jaguar

CUV-6M7 "Cobalt" Jaguar:

The CUV-6M7 "Cobalt" Jaguar is the dedicated stealth variant of the Jaguar chassis. Generally used for NAC or NAC Special Forces operations behind enemy lines, the Cobalt Jaguar's armaments are extremely versatile, capable of taking out armor, infantry, aerospace craft, fortifications, etc. Additionally, all Jaguars are fitted with air-drop thruster pods. Like those on the Cobalt Viper light tank, the Cobalt Jaguar's thrusters are used to stabilize drop until it reaches low enough altitude and jettisoned from the vehicle. Air-drop thruster pods can be mounted on any Jaguar variant, but are usually used exclusively by Cobalt Jaguars since they cannot be landed using conventional means (e.g. Skycrane) due to the nature of their operations.

In addition, Cobalts trade off the extra storage space above the rear left wheel for another external fuel tank to increase range even further. The entire Cobalt is fitted with a specialized stealth kit known as the Minsk Mk. S8 armoring system which combines the strong qualities of Minsk composite armor with excellent stealth capability. While it cannot render the vehicle completely invisible to powerful sensors, it can, at the least, mask it long enough for the Jaguar to reach its target. It is also equipped with an EBP-4 for PD against enemy projectiles and missiles.

Finally, the Cobalt Jaguar features the most versatile armaments of any Jaguar. Equipped with two 40 mm automatic grenade launchers, a quadruple barrel ATGM launcher (which can also be loaded with AIMs/SAMs), a quadruple barrel 12.7 mm Gatling gun, a 7.62 mm machine gun, and two quadruple barrel MMDs, capable of firing off standard HEF as well as the more commonly used Fog (basically chaff, smoke, electromagnetic disrupting, radar absorbing, etc material) for when it is spotted or has reached its target. However, while it does feature impressive armaments, this is at the cost of ammunition. Very few magazines can be carried for each individual weapon, and with the possibility of staying behind enemy lines for extended periods, the driver must exercise major fire discipline.

Like the ICV and LRV variants, the Cobalt can also carry four infantry, usually NAC Special Forces.

Like the Cobalt variant of the Viper light tank, the Cobalt Jaguar was introduced relatively late into the war. It did, however, serve deep behind enemy lines in the latter stages of the war, where NAC SF pushes were commonly behind enemy lines. Like its Viper counterpart, the Cobalt Jaguar earned a good reputation with Coalition troops and performed well in the field, despite its flaws.

Specifications:
Model: CUV-6M7 "Cobalt" Jaguar
Developed: 2596
Produced: 2596 - present
In service: 2597 - present

Crew: 1 (driver) + 4 infantry

Armor: Minsk. Mk. S8 Armoring System, EBP-4

Main armament: 2x 40 mm automatic grenade launchers
Secondary armament: quadruple tube ATGM launcher, 12.7 mm Gatling machine gun, 7.62 mm machine gun, 2x quadruple tube MMDs

Top speed: 186 km/h (~116 mph) on road

Slat armor package

CUV-6M2 Jaguar ICV with slat armor package:

The slat armor package is intended to provide Jaguars with an extra layer of protection against HEAT shells and ATGMs.

Mountaineer package (S&R)

CUV-6M2 Jaguar ICV with mountaineer package:

The mountaineer package is basically intended for mountainous or arctic terrain, as well as unstable swamp land and rough desert terrain. It replaces the storage crate with a tow cable winch at the rear, which is generally used to rescue trapped vehicles or recover damaged ones, and is therefore used by S&R troops or engineers, though it is not considered a support variant. Mountaineer packages are usually mounted on LRV or ICV variants since they have large troop capacity.

Other packages include the air-drop package and the two quadruple tube MMDs that are mounted onto the Cobalt Jaguar. Both can be mounted onto other Jaguar vehicles.

Designer's Notes: Well, I've had a lot of these lying around now, waiting for someone to comment so I wouldn't have to triple post. Tetra gave me the go-ahead though, so thanks (Razz), and yeah. I still have an assault gun variant before I move onto the support vehicles, though I might come up with more direct combat variants.

I'm quite happy with the thruster pods on the Cobalt and the slat armor package. As for the MLS version, that was honestly just me messing around. I was viewing the Mindstorms bricks and suddenly had an urge to use the light sensor as a laser, and I think it works quite well. So yeah. The Mountaineer package was just a way to put a rear tow cable on something. The ICV is probably my favorite out of this new batch, although I'm upset I couldn't fit a co-ax or an ATGM launcher.

As I said, I'll probably be doing the assault gun version next, and then move onto support vehicles. After that, I'm done with the Jaguar, as far as variants go.

And yes, the MLS has a different interior from the others.

Last edited by PXR on Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:37 am
CUV-6M5 Jaguar AG

CUV-6M5 Jaguar AG:

The CUV-6M5 Jaguar AG is the assault gun variant of the Jaguar chassis. Armed with a powerful 130 mm LVG/L-8 rifled gun/launcher, the Jaguar AG is capable of providing heavy fire support against massed infantry or other soft targets. However, against more heavily-armored targets, such as MBTs, it can switch to firing ATGMs to eliminate larger targets, providing a useful and highly versatile combat platform.

130 mm LVG/L-8
Type: rifled gun/launcher
Caliber: 130 mm
Ammunition: HE, HEP, ATGM
Rate of fire: ~11.2 rounds/min
Muzzle velocity: ~1344 m/s
Maximum effective range: ~27.2 km

Like the LT-3M2 variant of the Viper, the M5 Jaguar was designed to provide much needed fire support to infantry in urban warfare. Capable of destroying sections of small buildings, knocking out machine gun nests, eliminating enemy snipers and light vehicles, and even killing tanks, the Jaguar AG proved to be highly effective and efficient. The M5 was based off of the M3 Jaguar MGS/TD, with an identical interior layout and turret. This made production of the M5 easy, reduced maintenance, and increased nanufacturing rate. Part redundancy also made it easier to repair or fix and did not require additional training.

Jaguar AGs generally carry a mixed ammunition load-out, with HE for soft targets, HEP for buildings or fortifications, and ATGMs for heavily-armored vehicles. In addition, M5s are equipped with a co-axial 7.62 mm machine gun for anti-aircraft purposes or providing additional fire support.

Specifications:
Model: CUV-6M5 Jaguar AG
Developed: 2595

Main armament: 130 mm LVG/L-8
Secondary armament: 7.62 mm machine gun

Top speed: 165 km/h (~103 mph) on road

Designer's Notes: This probably rounds off the direct combat variants of the Jaguar CUV. I do like how the gun/launcher turned out; I based it heavily off of the Sheridan's 152 mm. Other than the new gun, slightly different sensor and different machine gun placement, and different ammunition, it is essentially identical to the Jaguar-95 MGS.

Last edited by PXR on Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:25 pm
These are, every single one of them, gorgeous. Well done! Very Happy
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:30 pm
@S-H: Thank you very much! Glad you like the color sensor idea. Very Happy

@Dino: Thank you!
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:48 am
P.S. 

The color sensor idea IS BRILLIANT. 
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum